Dates: May 13 – 29, 2015
Times: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. M-F
Instructor: Ryan Thornburg
Learning how to work with data helps young reporters find stories their competitors can’t and gives them skills that are in high demand.
In this hands-on class we’ll use data journalism tools to learn how to find, clean, analyze and present data.
- Interviewing data: How numbers can lie
- Organizing data in Excel
- Cleaning data with Refine
- Analyzing data with SQL
- Introduction to data scraping
- Negotiating access: requesting government data
- Location data: introduction to GIS and mapping